Water security is a key issue facing regional producers and landholders. In particular, for local graziers who rely on dam water for their livestock and don’t have access to mains water. Water security has therefore become a ‘project priority’ for BIGG.
BIGG received separate funding from the Northern and Yorke Landscape Board (November 2020) and the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program (June 2021) to investigate on-farm water security solutions for the region, including the following activities.
Report: Planning Farm Water Supplies – April 2022
As part of BIGGs Smart Farms Grant, PIRSA produced an extensive report for BIGG, covering the various water supply, capture, storage, reticulation, and monitoring options to consider on-farm. The report also includes various case studies.
The report can be found at Planning Farm Water supplies
BIGG’s Water Planning Workshop – April 2022
What are the options and strategies you need to consider to help make your property ‘water secure’?
These were examined at a BIGG workshop, featuring PIRSA Officers, Mary-Anne Young and Brian Hughes and BIGG Technical Facilitator, Janie Evans.
- On-farm water options – Mary-Anne Young, Soils and Land Management Officer, PIRSA
- Water requirement spreadsheet – Mary-Anne Young
- Water Infrastructure Audit – Mary-Anne Young
- Barossa New Water Project update – Janie Evans, Technical Facilitator, BIGG (presented on behalf of business advisory firm, KBR)
- Barossa New Water Project comparison – Brian Hughes, Soils Consultant, PIRSA
BIGG’s Water Catchment Workshop – September 2021
This workshop showcased how rainwater can be successfully harvested using an on-farm lined catchment. It featured representatives from the Coorong region, Tracey Stugnell and Mark Scobie (who have been at the forefront of this innovation), and local PIRSA soils expert Brian Hughes.
- The Coorong Water Security Story – Tracey Strugnell, Coorong and Tatiara District Councils and Coorong Tatiara Local Action Plan
- Lined Catchment Construction – Mark Scobie, Orlunda Downs (Coorong Farmer)
- Lined Catchment Learnings – Tracey Strugnell & Mark Scobie
- Innovative Water Harvest and Storage Solutions – Brian Hughes, PIRSA
- BIGG Water Catchment Case Study: Dale Button – August 2021
- Producer Water Security: BIGG Survey Report – December 2021
- Regional Water Security: BIGG Survey Report – May 2021
Barossa New Water Project
- Round 1 Map- Barossa Valley- Final Barossa Valley Map – Round 1 Demand Locations
- Round 1 Map- Eden Valley- Final Eden Valley Map – Round 1 Demand Locations
- Round 2 EOI Form BNW Round 2 Letter of Intent form – FINAL – 3 Feb 2022